Chicken Kare Kare Recipe


Chicken kare kare is a sort Filipino hen stew. It is cooked in a wealthy reddish peanut sauce. It uses vegetables resembling eggplant, snake beans, and bok choy as ingredients.



Ingredients

  • 2 1/2 lbs. hen thigh
  • 3/4 cup peanut butter
  • 1 bunch bok choy
  • 1 piece eggplant sliced
  • 10 items snake beans cut into 2 inch pieces
  • 1 piece onion chopped
  • 5 cloves garlic crushed
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon annatto paste
  • 1/4 cup bagoong alamang cooked
  • 2 cups hen broth
  • 2 teaspoons cornstarch diluted in 1/4 cup water
  • 3 tablespoons cooking oil


Instructions

  • Heat oil in a cooking pot.
  • Saute onion and garlic till onion softens
  • Add hen slices. Cook every area for 1 to at the very least one ½ minutes. Continue to prepare dinner sauté the hen for 2 extra minutes.
  • Pour hen broth. Let boil.
  • Add annatto paste. Stir till the paste dilutes completely. Cover the pot. Boil in medium warmth for 30 to 35 minutes.
  • Add peanut butter. Stir till properly blended. Pour a portion of the cornstarch mixture. Stir. Note: upload extra if the sauce wants to be thickened further
  • Put the eggplant and snake beans into the pot. Cover and prepare dinner for 5 minutes. Add bok choy. Cook for three minutes.
  • Transfer to a serving bowl. Serve with bagoong alamang. Share and enjoy!

The peanut sauce is by and large created from flooring peanuts. This recipe suggests a time-saver factor within the kind of peanut butter. I made use of normal creamy peanut butter on this recipe.

Annatto or atsuete provides the sauce its reddish color. I used annatto paste for this recipe. This is merely annatto in paste form. I got it whereas buying annatto seeds in a Mexican shop in my neighborhood. It was the primary time that I tried this form, and it labored well.

The vegetables that I can't reside with out when cooking kare kare are bok choy, beans and eggplant. I namely used a work of Chinese eggplant, snake beans or sitaw, and child bok choy. These vegetables could be cooked separately with the aid of means of blanching, steaming, or sautéing in garlic. I opted for the easiest and fastest route with the aid of means of cooking those altogether with the hen kare kare mixture.


A normal Filipino kare kare might the two be created from oxtail or tripe. There are cases in which equally of those foods are used, alongside with different red meat cuts. This model uses hen thighs. The protein used is the principal difference.

I tweaked the course of on this hen kare kare recipe to speed-up the process. There have been also some non-traditional foods brought on this recipe. The use of cornstarch to thicken the sauce, rather of toasted rice flour is one. Peanut butter is another. I did it make your factor sourcing extra convenient. You have to be capable to discover those in most supermarkets.


I began with the aid of means of sautéing garlic and onions. It is very vital to prepare dinner those foods appropriately to the level that the onion softens and the garlic begins to brown. Note that the hen slices have to be further proper away to once you notice the garlic beginning to swap its color. Cooking every area for 1 to at the very least one ½ minutes have to brown the chicken.

Chicken broth is used on this recipe to supply taste to the sauce. Pour the broth into the pot and allow it boil. This is the phase I further the annatto paste. You will word the sauce turn reddish when the paste totally will get diluted. Cover the pot and hold to prepare dinner the hen for 30 to 35 minutes. Some of the broth will evaporate throughout this step. You might possibly upload water or hen broth to keep away from the liquid from drying-up.


Add the peanut butter when the hen will get tender. Make certain that there's sufficient sauce left within the pot earlier than doing this. The peanut butter will surely mix with the liquid and it'll thicken it a bit. I am including a number of tablespoons of cornstarch combination to thicken the sauce further.

The final phase of the activity is so as to feature the vegetables. Start with eggplant and snake beans. These have to prepare dinner for at the very least 5 minutes. Add the bok choy final and prepare dinner it for three minutes.

You can season your hen kare kare with the two fish sauce or salt and pepper. I opted to now not upload those foods to this recipe as the sauce was already tasty. I also concept that the bagoong alamang that could probably be served with it later will probably be sufficient to increase the taste of the dish.

This hen kare kare recipe could be modified to make use of reachable foods on your area. Peanut butter is already an choice factor to flooring peanuts. Feel loose so as to feature flooring peanuts with peanut butter once you desire your sauce to be tastier.

Annatto is our principal factor for coloring. You can use annatto seeds or annatto powder. Soak the seeds in warm water and stir till it turns red. Do now not upload the seeds. Make certain to filter out it when pouring the water.


Long inexperienced beans or Baguio beans could be used as an choice factor to sitaw. Aubergine could be used rather of Chinese eggplant. Pechay can update bok choy.

Water could be used rather of hen broth. I will suggest including extra seasonings resembling fish sauce or salt when going to this direction.

Chicken Kare kare is finest eaten with warm white rice. It won’t be entire with out bagoong alamang. This factor could be recognized shrimp paste or shrimp sauce. Simply scoop kare kare and rice utilizing your spoon. Add a little bit of bagoong earlier than consuming.

I also love to devour this alongside with different dishes resembling crispy pata and pancit canton. How about you? It will probably be a pride to listen from you.