GARLICKY FETA DIP

Garlicky Feta Dip. This simple, creamy dip is tangy, garlicky, and at all times a crowd-pleaser.



INGREDIENTS

  • 6 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
  • 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
  • 1/3 cup Greek yogurt
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1/4 cup chopped contemporary dill, or to taste
  • 1 tablespoon lemon juice, plus lime zest, to top
  • Kosher salt and black pepper, to taste
  • 1 Roma tomato, diced
  • 1 pinch of overwhelmed red pepper, to best (optional)
  • Fresh herbs, to top
  • Olive oil, to top
  • Pita chips, pretzels, bruschetta, or crackers, to serve

INSTRUCTIONS

  • Combine the feta, cream cheese, greek yogurt, garlic, dill, and lemon juice within the bowl of a meals processor or blender. Taste and season with Kosher salt and black pepper, as desired.
  • When well-combined, scoop right into a bowl and best with lemon zest, tomato, a pinch of overwhelmed red pepper, contemporary herbs, and a really pale drizzle of olive oil.
  • Serve chilly with pita chips, pretzels, bruschetta, or crackers, to dip.



James now calls this “Trust Your Gut Dip”, which is perhaps a catchier title for it, reality be told.

The tale behind it's that I’ve been making this Garlicky Feta Dip for years– I first posted it again in 2014– and simply due to the fact my pals have eaten it so many times, I was requested to deliver it alongside with me to an enormous birthday party. Take a psychological note: If you do make this dip in your friends, you'll perhaps be requested to make it again. Often. 

Luckily, the dip is highly simple to whip collectively (literally the meals are whipped collectively within the meals processor), so it’s a reduction whilst folks request it moderately than one in all my extra concerned recipes. And they do request it sufficient that I’ve made it endless occasions now, and it’s at all times a hit. There actually was no motive I ought to ever mess with the recipe.

But obviously I did anyway.


I sold a ridiculous quantity of feta cheese simply due to the fact I needed to make a large bowl of feta dip, entire with home made za’atar topped pita chips and bruschetta. It could be the star of the celebration and take me underneath an hour to prepare, adding making the chips and toasting the bread. That’s the finest form of recipe, isn’t it?

Except this time, I figured I’d strive utilizing olive oil as an alternative of Greek yogurt to get the dip to the proper consistency. One much less element to select up from the store! I’d learn different recipes that used olive oil from a few well-respected cooks and foodies, or even although I was hesitant about it, I was certain that “the experts” wouldn’t lead me astray. It’d all be great.

Narrator: It could no longer be great.

When made with olive oil, my often delicious and creamy feta dip took on an oily texture (surprise, surprise) and the taste of the olive oil overpowered the feta. And as an alternative of testing a small batch first like a logical woman, I wasted all of my meals with the aid of means of making the entire vast quantity at once. Not to mention, beginning over from scratch whilst I’m already such a procrastinator could typically imply that I’d be tremendous overdue to the party. But I couldn’t come empty-handed.

Cue the freak-out.


I’m going to soar to the comfortable ending actual quickly and inform you that I was capable to run to the grocery store, absolutely restart, make the dip and the chips, get ready, and nonetheless go away for the celebration with time to spare. Like I said, it’s a sensible factor that this dip is so simple and quickly to make!

But earlier than all that, I truly was panicking a bit. Apparently I stored mumbling “I ought to have trusted my gut” underneath my breath. I knew I ought to have just caught with the Greek yogurt from the get-go! Anyway, that's how this Garlicky Feta Dip earned the nickname of Trust Your Gut Dip.

Moral of the story: If it ain’t broke, don’t restore it. Oh, and belief your gut.


Speaking of guts, you’re going to desire to fill yours with an insane quantity of this dip. I typically serve it with pita chips, crackers, and pretzels, but I also love to unfold it on toasted bread or bagels. Seriously, ought to you've any leftovers and also you get the possibility to smear it on a warm everything bagel the subsequent morning, it’s like heaven. Heeeeaven. Especially if you’re a vast feta fan like me. And there’s cream cheese in proper the following too, so it’s like your prevalent unfold with a few thrilling additions.

Aside from the feta, Greek yogurt, and cream cheese, the Garlicky Feta Dip also decent points lots of garlic (obviously), lemon juice, and recent dill within the mixture. I desire to higher it with extra dill and a few different herbs like basil or parsley, as properly as lemon zest for introduced brightness, chopped roma tomato, the tiniest pinch of beaten red pepper flakes for heat, and…

Olive oil. Gasp.

Replacing the Greek yogurt was a no-go, however the tiniest drizzle on higher is a actually sensible addition.

But realistically, you possibly can cross as over-the-top with toppings as you’d like otherwise you possibly can serve the Garlicky Feta Dip as merely as you’d like. I guess I’d say which you simply ought to just belief your gut.