Homemade Bean and Bacon Soup

Skip the can – this Homemade Bean and Bacon Soup is hearty and filling and stuffed with veggies and chunks of bacon!





Ingredients
  • 8 oz. Jones Dairy Farm Cherry Hardwood Smoked Bacon, diced
  • 1 cup diced yellow onions
  • 1 cup diced carrots
  • 1 cup diced celery
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 4 cups hen broth
  • 3 cans (15 oz each) Great Northern beans, tired and rinsed
  • salt and pepper
  • 1 can (8 oz) tomato sauce
Instructions
  • Cook the bacon in a soup pot or Dutch oven till crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon to a paper towel lined plate. Discard all but about 2 tablespoons of the bacon grease.
  • To the hot bacon grease, upload the onions, carrots and celery. Cook over medium warmth till they soar to soften, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and prepare dinner an extra minute. Stir within the hen broth and beans. Season to style with salt and pepper. Bring to a bubble then scale back the warmth to low and permit the soup simmer for 1 hour.
  • Remove half of the soup to a blender or meals processor. Process till smooth. Return the puree to the soup pot and stir into the remaining soup. Add the tomato sauce and 3/4 of the reserved bacon and stir to combine. Taste and season to style with salt and pepper. Let the soup simmer till it's heated through, about 5 minutes. Serve topped with the remaining bacon. !


Growing up, Sundays have been at all times the same. If we had morning church, we could come house from church, and lunch could be soup and sandwiches. I don’t matter ever having one thing but soup and sandwiches for lunch on Sundays.

My mother could warmth up a number of unique sorts of canned soup, then make up a number of peanut butter sandwiches. We are a household that loves to dip, and peanut butter sandwiches got dipped into the soup. So the bulk of the sandwiches have been simply peanut butter, but there have been at all times some with peanut butter and honey. (And for the list – I ought to have at all times beloved the candy and salty combination, simply due to the fact to this day, I love a peanut butter and honey sandwich dipped into my soup!)


One of my favorites on these Sunday afternoons was the bean with bacon soup. I don’t understand why I beloved it so much, but I could at all times select it over the hen noodle or cut up pea with ham.



Skip the can - this Homemade Bean and Bacon Soup is hearty and filling and stuffed with veggies and chunks of bacon!


Well, my daughter has this love of soup. She could perhaps consume domestic made soup day by day if I made it for her, but since that’s simply no longer potential 🙂 we at all times have a couple of cans of hen noodle soup on hand. That lady can consume an complete can of soup for lunch herself.

One day, on the grocery store, I was letting her select out a couple of cans of soup. And there I saw it – the Bean with Bacon soup. I decided to purchase a can to have available for if I ever essential to consume it for lunch.


Fast ahead a couple of weeks, and my daughter will get house from school, asking for soup for lunch. I move to the pantry, and never a can of her beloved hen noodle soup left. She sees my can of Bean and Bacon soup, and asks for it. I begrudgingly say yes.

close
And then she in simple terms eats like 2 bites of the soup. After she left the table, I select to consume a bowl of it for lunch because it was already open and out.

And I ate about 2 bites of it and was done.

I don’t understand if my tastebuds have simply grown up, or what, but I did unlike it. It tasted overwhelmingly of smoke, and unlike precise smoke. Like liquid smoke.

It tasted totally fake.


Skip the can - this Homemade Bean and Bacon Soup is hearty and filling and stuffed with veggies and chunks of bacon!


I was sad, but in simple terms for a minute. Because proper then, I decided that I had to make a domestic made bean and bacon soup – with taste from precise smoked bacon.


One eye opener for me while I visited the Culinary Institute of America with Jones Dairy Farm final 12 months was that much of firms use liquid smoke to taste their meats and bacon. I felt duped. When one thing says smoked, I’m considering it’s truly spent a while in a smoker, but that isn’t at all times the case.

For my soup, I knew I essential precise smoked bacon, no longer liquid smoke or bacon that had been flavored with liquid smoke. So naturally, I selected my favourite Jones Dairy Farm bacon – their Dry Aged Cherrywood Smoked Bacon. I’ve mentioned it proper correct here a thousand instances before, but no unique bacon compares to this bacon in my eyes.

After picking the ultimate bacon, the relaxation was fairly easy. Some beans, veggies and hen broth are cooked together. Half of the combination is pureed to offer you that thick, creamy texture. Add in some tomato sauce and stir within the bacon – it’s the soup that blows that soup of my childhood out of the water. Seriously – this bean and bacon soup was so nice – there might be no extra cans of soup in my future!


Skip the can - this Homemade Bean and Bacon Soup is hearty and filling and stuffed with veggies and chunks of bacon!





Like what you notice here? Make certain you're following Taste and Tell for extra vast recipes and ideas!!






LOOKING FOR MORE FREE RECIPES?
Subscribe to my loose recipe newsletter to get new household pleasant recipes on your inbox every one week! Find me sharing extra family-friendly concept on Pinterest and Instagram.

Skip the can - this Homemade Bean and Bacon Soup is hearty and filling and stuffed with veggies and chunks of bacon!

 Time: 15 minsCook Time: 1 hour 15 minsTotal Time: 1 hour 30 minsYield: four servings 1x
PRINT RECIPE
PIN RECIPE

Skip the can – this Homemade Bean and Bacon Soup is hearty and filling and stuffed with veggies and chunks of bacon!