Moussaka is to the Greek what Lasagna is to Italians. A wealthy tomato meat sauce layered with eggplant as a substitute of pasta sheets, and topped with a thick layer of béchamel sauce, this normal Greek recipe takes time to gather – but it’s nicely value the effort.
| Ingredients EGGPLANT
FILLING
BECHAMEL SAUCE
TOPPING
Instructions EGGPLANT (NOTE 6)
MEAT SAUCE
BECHAMEL SAUCE
ASSEMBLE
|
This is extreme relief meals – a low carb one!
Moussaka
As with all iconic dishes of the world, I consider that each Greek household absolutely has their very own model of Moussaka.
Well, I desire to assume they do. I actually have visions of Greek Mamas having heated debates about what makes a huge moussaka, arguing over earth shattering issues like:
beef or lamb?? (Traditionally lamb, both delicious with beef!)
potatoes in location of eggplant? (Totally fine, eggplant is simply extra traditional)
blasphemy to bake highly than fry the eggplant? (Once layered up, you can’t inform if it’s baked highly than fried but your skinny denims will thanks for it. Eggplant is a sponge for oil, my friends!)
Well, Greek Mamas may now not have such a pragramtic view because the solutions I’ve provided, but hopefully this recipe will get their nod of approval! It’s a normal recipe sourced from a Greek cookbook referred to as The Food And Cooking Of Greece which I discovered at my native library again in 2015.
Since this time, it has advanced a wee bit pursuant to different Greek cookbooks that have crossed my path, however the middle of the recipe is nonetheless very a lot the unique recipe.
Recipe Notes:
1. Meat - lamb is traditional, red meat is both delicious!
2. Beef inventory - or use hot water plus 1 further bouillon inventory dice (or 1 tsp of powder)
3. Cheese - Traditionally here's made with grated Kefalotiri Cheese that's really bought in a few giant supermarkets in Australia nowadays. But I've been making this with parmesan for years.
4. Stock powder - I like utilizing Vegeta or bird or vegetable inventory powder to flavour the white sauce as it provides further flavour than plain salt and there may be a LOT of sauce! But plain salt will do simply effective too. (I would perhaps upload a little further cheese!)
5. Panko - Panko is fully no longer Greek, it is Japanese breadcrumbs. But I nearly all of the time use panko rather of regular breadcrumbs as the items are larger so that you get method higher CRUNCH! Normal breadcrumbs fully ok.
6. Eggplant - the salting removes extra liquid so the eggplant does no longer change into soggy and make the moussaka watery as soon as assembled. Also typically eggplant could be bitter and this removes the bitterness.
Some recipes fry, I choose to bake simply due to the fact you use far much less oil. But the fastest solution to prepare dinner a giant load of eggplant like on this recipe is at the BBQ - no must salt for those who do this, simply brush with oil and prepare dinner on medium excessive 3 minutes or so on every part till softened!
7. FREEZING: Cook per recipe, then permit to cool. Cover tightly with grasp wrap then freeze. To reheat, thaw then reheat at 180C/350F for 25 minutes exposed or till a knife inserted into the centre comes out hot.
8. Nutrition per serving. Far decrease carbs than Lasagna!!
