Old-Fashioned Iced Oatmeal Cookies ~ Soft within the heart and crispy on the edges, sweet, but no longer overly so, and the cinnamon and nutmeg actually shine through. A actually terrific cookie!
| Ingredients For the cookie dough:
For the icing:
Instructions
|
I nonetheless depend while we put in our first push button telephone. (I was a very, very, very younger lady ) I depend being younger sufficient that I didn’t actually have any pals to name on the time. We simply jumped on our bicycles and street over to their dwelling if we had one thing to discuss. But I wished to name of us simply to make use of the brand new cellphone with the raised plastic numbers and lighted background.
We usually regale our grown toddlers with tales of what life used to be like with out microwaves, Internet, cable, email, Facetime or hands-free anything. Technology is wonderful and the tempo with which it’s being built is nothing a lot lower than astonishing.
Do you depend Iced Oatmeal Cookies out of your childhood?
First of all, what does that ought to do with Iced Oatmeal Cookies? So satisfied you asked! I was considering about while I was a child and the method it was a different deal with to get a shop offered cookie, cake, or sweet bar. We began getting Little Debbie’s in our lunches in later years, but being one in every of 5 kids, hand-me-downs have been the norm and we didn’t waste funds on issues we didn’t need.
Oh if our toddlers might reside with out issues they didn’t need – how the international might be very different. I also depend Mother’s Iced Oatmeal Cookies that got here within the shiny blue and red bundle and every cookie was perfectly shaped, crispy and delicious. I assume it’s thrilling that home-made is now the ‘special treat’ and shop offered one thing is the norm. Let’s no longer even get began on restaurants!
These ‘homemade’ Iced Oatmeal Cookies are so a lot higher than store-bought.
They’re smooth with crispy edges, sweet, but no longer overly so, and the cinnamon and nutmeg actually shine. This is darn close to probably probably the foremost splendid cookie ever!
The evaluations are in – these are everybody’s favorite!
My husband stated they have the splendid texture and simply the proper quantity of icing. I love the method the icing appears and was afraid I might no longer duplicate it.
For the quite craggy top, dip your cookies within the icing rather of spreading on top.
However, by means of way of dipping the cookies in icing rather of spreading it on top, the icing doesn’t seep to the cracks and crevasses. That’s the way you get the real ‘old-fashioned iced oatmeal cookie’ signature look.
I ought to apologize to my official style testers, I don’t assume these are going to make it to the office!
Recipe Notes
*NOTE: This recipe has basically been examined utilizing Old-Fashioned Rolled Oats processed in a meals processor for the combination of textures that seem above. Do no longer exchange speedy oats or oat bran for the rolled oats.
IMPORTANT: I've had many feedback that the cookies didn't unfold and create the cracks like these within the photos. Be cautious to no longer over-process the oats. Pulse quickly, don't make oat flour. The texture is created by means of way of having chunkier oats no longer powdery oats.
Tips for the icing: resulting from different humidity and seasonal changes, you would possibly need extra or a lot less milk or sugar. The icing ought to stick but no longer be runny while you dip the cookie. If or no longer it's too thick it's going to no longer adhere to the cookie at all. Hope that enables and thank you so a lot for the feedback!
Adapted from a recipe posted on Mother Thyme



