Spinach, chickpea and sweet potato sausage rolls

These sensational sausage rolls made with spinach, chickpeas and candy potato are a positive wholesome take on a classic. You truthfully won’t miss the beef simply due to the fact these tasty pastry rolls are so filled with flavour. Plus they’re a huge approach to sneak a truckload of vegetables plus protein and fibre packed chickpeas into the kids!



Ingredients

  • 20g butter
  • ½ red onion
  • 2 cloves garlic
  • 1 tbsp contemporary ginger
  • 200g orange candy potato
  • 1 tsp floor cumin
  • ½ tsp tumeric
  • ¼ tsp floor nutmeg
  • 2 tbsp water
  • 100g child spinach leaves
  • 400g can chickpeas
  • salt
  • freshly floor black pepper
  • 80g feta cheese
  • 2 tbsp contemporary coriander
  • 1 tbsp contemporary parsley
  • 2 sheets pre-rolled puff pastry
  • 1 egg
  • 1 tbsp sesame seeds

Instructions

  • Finely cube the onion. Melt the butter in a enormous frypan over a medium warmth and prepare dinner the onion for 4-5 minutes till very smooth and translucent.
  • Finely grate or crush the garlic and finely grate the ginger. Add these to the onion and prepare dinner for a additional minute.
  • Grate the candy potato and upload to the frypan. Cook for 8-10 minutes till softened.
  • Sprinkle over the cumin, tumeric, nutmeg and water and prepare dinner for a additional 2 minutes.
  • Roughly chop the spinach leaves and stir these through. Continue to prepare dinner the mixture, stirring regularly, till the vegetables are cooked well.
  • Drain the can of chickpeas, booking the liquid. Add the chickpeas plus 2 tbsp of the liquid from the can to a meals processor and pulse to a tough puree.
  • Stir the chickpeas by way of the vegetable combination till effectively mixed and season with salt and pepper to taste.
  • Set the combination apart to cool for 15-20 minutes.
  • While the combination is cooling, defrost 2 sheets of frozen flaky puff pastry.
  • Once the vegetable combination has cooled, finely cube the feta cheese and chop the coriander and parsley. Stir these by way of the vegetable mixture.
  • Lightly beat the egg and brush all of it over the pastry sheets. Place half the vegetable combination onto every pastry sheet about ⅓ of the method up the sheet. Using your arms type it correct into a sausage form the size of the pastry sheet. Roll the pastry round the filling, as firmly as likely with out stretching the pastry, till you've got a roll form with approximately 1 inch overlap of pastry. Trim the extra pastry if necessary.
  • Transfer the rolls to the freezer for 30 minutes to set slightly of that may make them simpler to cut.
  • Preheat the oven to 180C Fan Bake. Line a baking sheet with parchment or greaseproof paper.
  • After 30 minutes, take away the rolls from the freezer. Brush extra crushed egg over the higher of every roll and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
  • Using a actually sharp knife, cut them for your wanted length. Place the cut rolls onto the ready baking sheet and bake for 20-25 minutes till the pastry is golden.


I’m a sucker for simply about one thing wrapped in pastry. And sausage rolls are my greatest weakness. I understand how naughty they're but I simply can’t cease myself. Lately Mum and I actually have been operating our method by way of some thrilling sausage roll flavours she has realized at a bakery close to the place she works. We’ve had red meat and apple, Thai red curry, lamb and mint… All have been actually nice for one thing slightly of bit different.

This bakery also does a spinach and chickpea sausage roll, but we haven’t yet had a threat to pattern it as it retains promoting out. It ought to be good. I needed to know. So I had no option but to make it myself.



When I began pondering about the finest approach to make these rolls, I couldn’t get previous the idea that simply spinach and chickpea may be slightly dry and bland. Orange candy potato appeared like a nice addition as it chefs down to be so pretty and soft. Sweet potato has a delicious nutty sweetness that is going superbly with chickpeas. And I was proper – it makes a huge base for the spinach and chickpeas in these delicious sausage rolls. Add in a number of of my general spices, some herbs for nice degree and a few cubed feta cheese and we have been on to a winner!

While I whole-heartedly trust in making your personal meals as a lot as possible, puff pastry is one in all these issues that I simply by no means appear to make. I’ve realized a actually huge model of frozen, pre-rolled puff pastry. I simply can’t cross previous it for convenience, style and flake-ability. Plus I assume on some degree I don’t actually desire to understand simply how a lot butter is within the pastry so its simpler to ignore if I don’t make it myself.

Being all vegetable goodness, the blend for these sausage rolls could be very soft. I’ll confess that within the final 10 minutes of baking they did cave in slightly and the filling was poking out both aspect of the pastry in a most unattractive fashion. To treatment this, whereas they have been nonetheless hot from the oven I took a dessert spoon in both hand and gently pressed them again into shape. It labored a treat. They held their form and as soon as they have been cool stayed watching as a sausage roll should. Plump and invitingly filled with deliciousness.


These vegetarian sausage rolls have been tremendous nonetheless hot from the oven. But they’re also positive cold. We loved them very a lot as section of our picnic lunch proper here day, and my eldest daughter was extra than pleased to have them a number of days in a row in her lunchbox. And greatest of all, resulting from all of the nice issues in these sausage rolls you'll be able to indulge with out the guilt!





Notes
This recipe makes NULL enormous rolls, that could then be cut into 6-8 pieces. If you favor for finger meals or little arms you'll be able to make four smaller rolls by slicing every pastry sheet in half lengthways and dividing the combination into quarters.

If the rolls cave in slightly throughout baking and the filling spills out, as soon as the pastry is golden and they're out of the oven, use NULL dessert spoons - one in all both aspect of the sausage roll - to softly push the filling again into the pastry correct into a roll shape.