Sweet Potato Burrito Smothered in Avocado Salsa Verde


Where do you name home? Home used to be such a fundamental concept, but I’ve struggled to outline it lately. For the primary few years of life, area was the position I lived with my fogeys in a small metropolis close to the Oklahoma panhandle. Home had brown tile flooring that I tottered throughout on the heels of my red-haired cousin. My family, chums and property have been all there. Things got extra complex whilst we moved to an Oklahoma City suburb and I left for college, but now that I’ve moved out of my area state, I actually don’t recognize what or the position area is.



INGREDIENTS
Burritos

  • 2 medium candy potatoes
  • 1 ½ to 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
  • ½ teaspoon cumin
  • ½ teaspoon smoked hot paprika (or chipotle powder)
  • ¼ teaspoon cayenne
  • Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
  • 4 to 6 entire wheat tortillas
  • 2 roasted red peppers (I used jarred)
  • 2 cups cooked black beans or 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
  • 1+ cup shredded Jack cheese

Avocado Salsa Verde

  • 2 ripe avocados from Mexico
  • 1 cup slight salsa verde, jarred
  • 2 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
  • 1 to 2 teaspoons recent jalapeño, deseeded and roughly chopped, optional
  • 1 lime, juiced
  • ¼ cup packed cilantro leaves
  • Up to 2 tablespoons water, to thin as necessary
  • Sea salt, to taste

Toppings

  • 1 ½ cups chopped romaine lettuce
  • 1 small red onion, finely chopped
  • Finely chopped jalapeño, optional
  • Sour cream, optional
INSTRUCTIONS
  • Preheat the oven to 450 tiers Fahrenheit. Scrub and peel the candy potatoes. Chop them into large, bite-sized chunks, about 1 to one ½-inches wide/long and ½-inch deep. Toss the candy potatoes with the olive oil, cumin, smoked hot paprika, cayenne pepper and salt and pepper. Make certain they're flippantly coated in oil on all sides. Pour the candy potatoes onto a big baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Arrange the candy potatoes evenly in one layer. Do no longer overcrowd. Bake for about 45 minutes, flipping the candy potato chunks halfway, till they're golden and caramelized round the edges.
  • Make the avocado sauce: in a meals processor or a nice blender, combine the avocado flesh, salsa verde, garlic, jalapeño (skip this in case your salsa is spicy) and lime juice. Blend. Add the cilantro and mix again. Add water to thin out the sauce if desired; the sauce ought to glop simply off a spoon. Taste and mix in some sea salt or upload one other squeeze of lime if necessary. This sauce ought to style like a actual kick within the mouth; you’ll recognize you’re completed whilst you can’t cease stepping into for one other spoonful of the stuff.
  • Make certain the oven is nonetheless on at 450 tiers Fahrenheit.* Place your tortillas on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. In the middle of every tortilla, positioned down a pair strips of roasted red pepper, then pour ⅓ cup black beans down the middle and best all of it with ⅓ cup roasted candy potato chunks. Sprinkle ¼ cup or extra of jack cheese on top. Pull one part of the tortilla over to the middle of the burrito, then pull the reverse part over to overlap a bit. Gently roll the burrito over. Repeat with remaining burritos. Bake your burritos for about 5 minutes on the middle rack, till the cheese is melted and the tortillas are flippantly crisp.
  • Carefully move every one burrito to a plate. Smother it in avocado sauce, sprinkle with abundant romaine lettuce, some chopped red onion, jalapeño if you’d like and a dollop of sour cream. Go at it with a fork.


I visited Oklahoma the week earlier than final for the primary time for the reason that shifting to Kansas City. There I was guffawing with my dearest chums round a desk at our favourite Mexican restaurant, but my antique rental wasn’t mine any more. The metropolis that I had lived in for the previous eight years felt like home, as soon as removed. I spent a number of nights at my parents’ place, too. They moved to a larger area when I left for college; I nonetheless don’t recognize the position all of the faded switches are. I assume it's going to all of the time be area for the reason that my fogeys are there nevertheless it feels just somewhat empty now that my brothers have left the nest, too.

Here I am in Kansas City, that's feeling extra like home. Everything has its location now, adding Cookie, who's curled up through my toes on our new couch. We can name it area for now, I guess?


I’m no longer precisely certain what to name this burrito, either. I do love how Mexican meals has a other phrase for each one typical incarnation of tortillas, cheese and fillings/toppings. Burritos, tacos, tostadas, huevos rancheros, quesadillas, nachos: every one tasty in its own right.

What we've right the following is a flippantly baked burrito of modest size—a borderline enchilada, really—smothered in a zesty avocado sauce. I needed to include as a lot sauce as I perhaps may on this burrito, so I simply drowned the burrito within the stuff from above. At that rate, consuming the burrito required a fork, so why hassle rolling within the facets of the tortilla? Might as nicely sprinkle the insides with cheese and bake it for a number of minutes so all of it sticks collectively instead.


I had originally deliberate to make an avocado crema, but after mixing avocados within the meals processor, it was evident that puréed avocados from Mexico are lots wealthy and creamy on their own. I concept about making a selfmade salsa verde but all of the tomatillos I may discover have been subpar this overdue within the season. I skipped on over to the salsa aisle with an excuse to take a shortcut (who doesn’t like a nice shortcut?). At home, I combined the avocados with flavorful salsa verde, recent lime juice, cilantro and garlic. The finish consequence is an addictive avocado salsa verde resembling the sauce masking my favourite burrito on the aforementioned Mexican restaurant, Pepe’s.

Maybe we don’t desire a phrase for this tremendous recent burrito-enchilada hybrid after all. It’s good; let’s depart it at that.


Sweet potato burritos with black beans, smothered in a fundamental but flavorful avocado salsa verde sauce. See notes for methods to make those in advance. Recipe yields four to 6 burritos, depending on how complete you stuff them.


NOTES
Roast the candy potatoes forward of time and warm them up somewhat earlier than assembling the burritos for a quickly weeknight meal. You may also bake a batch of them and wrap them up for later, booking the avocado sauce and toppings for the final minute.
The style of the avocado sauce is based on the sort of salsa you use. I suggest a basic, slight salsa verde made with tomatillos.
The avocado sauce will maintain nicely in a bowl within the fridge for a number of days. Cover the floor of it with with plastic wrap to lessen touch with air and assist guarantee that your sauce doesn’t move brown.


If you've got leftover sauce, it doubles as a stellar salad dressing on romaine lettuce.
*You don’t necessarily have got to bake those burritos (warm tortilla, black beans and candy potatoes ought to melt the cheese) but I appreciated the faintly crunchy outdoors of the baked burrito.
This burrito may simply be made vegan through omitting the cheese and sour cream. Still delicious, I promise!
Peeling candy potatoes is SO fundamental with this sharp, low cost little vegetable peeler.